Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Favourite Things.

Do you remember waaay back when you were a child having a favourite cup or maybe a spoon?  It could have been a special cereal bowl.  I remember having a favourite spoon.  Was I annoyed if anyone else mybrother used it!
When we get older we're supposed to put away childish things aren't we?  Not Mr LC.

 
Official Mug Shot
He now has a special mug and woe betide if anyone else me even thinks of using it.  One of the fellows he met in the Dominican Republic gave it to Mr LC as a parting gift.  He took a real liking to my hubby and even invited him to his home for dinner. The meal alone was a real sacrifice because most of these people can barely afford to feed their families let alone a guest.

The day Mr LC left for home the young man presented him with the coffee mug. Another sacrifice because he had to spend precious money to buy the mug.  Mr LC was deeply touched by the generosity of this young man.

Another Official Mug Shot
   

Mr LC told me the strange thing was that everyone has a smart phone.  They pay for minutes as they go.  No cellphone plans there.  It's great because Mr LC is able to stay in touch with some of the guys through Facebook.  Sometimes the translation gets a bit confused though.  Hubby thought he told one fellow who posted a picture of his family that he had three pretty sisters.  It turns out  he said he had three pretty to die.  Whoops. Maybe he should get some Spanish lessons for Christmas, you think?

12 comments:

Razmataz said...

It's a great cup and makes you stop to think whenever you use it about the true value of this gift, I bet.

You should beat him downstairs in the morning and have a cuppa....

the gardener's cottage said...

i hope to never see this in broken item of the week. mr lc is looking pretty badass in that bandana!

Sacha said...

Something tells me that mug had better not feature in one of your 'broken item of the week' posts! ;-D

brismod said...

Yep, step away from that cup Deb. It's definitely a cup to be treasured when you know what was sacrificed to buy it. xx

An Urban Cottage said...

I think it's a pretty special mug too.

Off to look to translate "woe betide" into American.

Deb said...

Thanks for the reminder girls. I'm never touching that mug again!

Anonymous said...

I have a special mug too!
Yes, maybe spanish lessons are a good idea...

thedomesticfringe said...

Love the mug. My hubby has a special mug too. Sometimes it drives me crazy, because I think it's silly to rush and wash the mug when there's another clean one to use. But, we have to keep them happy. ;-)
~FringeGirl

Becky said...

That is a great mug. Special because of who gave it to him. Holds lots of coffee and good memories.

Jen Kershner said...

My hubby has a friend in Germany and his emails always entertain me to no end.

Anonymous said...

I do understand hubby, and it's such a perfect example of how something little can be tremendously valuable. I do wish Christmas would be celebrated in the same spirit.

I have a special spoon; it's an old silver spoon with the name 'Anna Helga' engraved on the handle. I don't know who she was, but I'm loving her spoon.

xxx

Anna Bartlett said...

Great mug. Great story. Good to have a photo of it "just in case". My husband worked in Bougainville (New Guinea) about 13 years ago and a local man there actually named his baby after him - "David Bartlett Mukaki". A mug would have been easier to take home!'