Sunday, August 25, 2013

What Would You Do?

Please ignore the model in the chair.




There are a plethora of unfinished projects around here at the LC. I figure why not start one more?  What does it matter in the grand scheme of things?

I want to sand the floor in the kitchen before the snow flies but that may be wishful thinking. However, there is a project I can do without the able assistance of Mr LC.

I want to PAINT THE FIREPLACE!!!!!!!

Okay, I'll stop yelling now. The thing is 6'10" of ugly red brick. Mr LC doesn't like it either. The three fireplaces in the house were totally redone in the fifties as you can see by the colour of the brick. All three. Same ugly brick.

I would like to clad it but I want to try and paint it first.  However, there is no going back once painted.

There are tons of ideas on Pinterest.











See the shocking before and after of this painted brick fireplace makeover!I am thinking of painting the bricks white.

How about a wash effect???



how to paint a brick fireplace @Megan Ward Ward Minton Oldenburger, not necessarily painting brick, but the brass.... ;-)So this is where you come in. Should I go or should I stay?  Should I paint or leave well enough alone.

Oh, sweet mystery of life.  I'm waiting on you my Gentle Readers.

8 comments:

An Urban Cottage said...

People are funny about painting brick. I personally love the texture of it. If you hate the brick and painting might make you like it and it might save the money of refacing it, then what it there to lose?

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Paint it white! Whitewash doesn't look as fresh or classic. (I'm full of opinions!)

Unknown said...

White. Do not go any other way. That white wash looks like it is stuck in the 80's...UGGH.

The Domestic Fringe said...

Absolutely paint it! Actually we just encouraged a friend to do the same. He was putting his house on the market and the realtor whole heartedly agreed - paint.

I wonder if you'd need a high-heat paint? I doubt it though.

Be sure to show us and "after" please.
~FringeGirl

Makeminemidcentury said...

Definitely paint it! I like the softened paint better. I think it would suit your home a bit better (because I've been there and all!). Full-white may be a bit harsh.

You have to show us the finished job - complete with model!

I'm enjoying your return to blogdom.xo

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

Go for it, Deb! I think it will look great! Happy anniversary to you and Mr LC, too!

annie said...

Do it the soft washy white as you have a gentle cottage or so says this gentle reader.
If you hate it then you can slap it on thick and heavy but maybe not glossy at your place.
Nice to have you back. We now await the make over post!

Anna Bartlett said...

If it was my place I'd go bright white (or hot pink or something bizarre) and then I'd go visit Annie and she'd have done the second picture you've posted and I'd wish I'd done that too. So what she said.