Monday, April 12, 2010

Art Appreciation

Do you like these houses and barns?


Now I'll show you the paintings they are from:

This is a little 5x7 watercolour.  I found it laying around in a drawer full of clutter.

I love this one.  It makes me think of a cottage in the English countryside.  It is done in oils.


This one I love for the fallish colours,  Is fallish a word?  This painting was also done in oils.
Now are you curious as to who painted these?  No, not me.  My multi talented mother did them.  There were ten brothers and sisters in her family and pretty much all of them could draw and paint beautifully.  I did not inherit this skill at all but I think my daughter #1 got the gene. My mum did many paintings.  My brother has some and so do my girls.  I'm so blessed to have them and I think of Mum every time I look at them.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE them! I am always looking for landscape paintings especially smaller ones - I would have snatched these up in a second if I saw them in a store!
You are VERY lucky to have them - she was very talented ~

Anonymous said...

Oh they are gorgeous! I love them. How I wish I had that talent.

Hugs,
LeAnn:)

Mercedes Spencer @ Liberty Biberty said...

The paintings are gorgeous Deb. There's just something lovely about little cottages isn't there?!
Mercedes

Laura said...

I'll have to post mine some time

onbeingaminimum said...

Hi Deb, you are so lucky to have such lovely pieces but knowing they were painted by your mother makes them extra special.
Regards,
Janice

Unknown said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous. I'd hang those in my house in a heart beat. And to think they are teeny ones. My mom was one of 10 also. She is an artist and one of her sisters got the creative gene big time. It is so special that you have those paintings from your mom. I'm glad you found them :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

How sweet to have special artwork from your mother! They are wonderful~ I especially love the fall painting!

Jo Raines said...

These are beautiful! I've been wanting to work on some mini paintings since Jean Day had the watercolor tutorials--just haven't done it yet.

Jody

GardenOfDaisies said...

Those are wonderful paintings by your mother!! I really love the third one.

Jeanne Oliver said...

These are wonderful. I wish I had stronger painting skills.

Jo Raines said...

Deb, there is an award for you on my blog. Hope you can drop by and pick it up and pass it on to others.

Jody

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Your mom had a multitude of talent! These are beautiful. Such lovely colors.

I have to share with you one of my favorite words to describe something "fallish." It's autumnal. Pronounced au-tum-nal (yes you hear the n). Sorry did I just sound like a third grade teacher? I wonder why! :)

Jemjoop said...

Wow, these are wonderful. What a talented Mum! You've got such pretty things in your decor. Lovely to see a sneaky peek :D

Anonymous said...

Those are REALLY beautiful! It's so special that you have them.

-FringeGirl