Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Best Ships are Friendships...

If you remember my post from the other day on my mother's quilts I promised to show you a really special one.


This is a friendship quilt.  My mum grew up in a small community waaay out in the country.  All the ladies and girls would get together and have quilting bees.  This was a chance to catch up on the local gossip, eat great food, and help someone finish their quilt.  It was a tradition back then that when a girl got married everyone would make a quilt square, put them together and make the bride a quilt.  This is my mum's.  It rarely saw the light of day.  She never used it but would display it at quilting fairs in later years.  It's fun to look back on it and see her neighbours' and sisters' work.  Everyone signed their block so you knew who made it.  Some of my aunts' signatures are from before they were married and I love that.


This is the block Mum made.  You can see her signature in the right hand corner.


This block is from her oldest sister.  The bird is wonderful.


Some were simple but colourful.  All of them were beautifully appliqued.


Don't you love her name!


This is made by one of my aunts before she was married.


This is made by another sister.  I think it's violets.  They are our provincial flower.


This is my favourite.  The detail is wonderful.  My parents got married during the second world war.  One of Mum's brothers was in the air force and this is a tribute to him.


This is pretty too.  The colours don't show up well here.


This block was made by my grandmother.  I never knew her, she died before I was born. Mum told me her favourite flower was Cosmos.  I think the leaves are really super.

Mum had seven sisters and I wish they all had contributed a block but some had left home by then. Mum was born  the eighth of ten children.

I'm so glad I have this quilt.  This is the one time I'm glad I never had any sisters.  I don't know how this would have been sorted! I don't even want to think about how my girls will decide who gets to have it.

10 comments:

Mrs. M said...

My mom was the 7th of ten children. Four girls and 6 boys ... all veterans of WW2.

The quilt is amazing. What an heirloom for you. Just beautiful.

Makeminemidcentury said...

That's beautiful. What work. And it looks like it's in fabulous condition.

So nice to think you can look back at each section and remember the relative who completed it - and each section is so individual.

Maybe you could by-pass your daughters and give it to your first grandaughter ... your daughters may not like that suggestion.

jen @ homeinthecountry said...

1. your hair looks great! :)

2. beautiful! what a great thing to be able to hold on to... it's such a shame that the quilt has never been out on display - it is so stunning!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What can you say about such a wonderful treasure? Treasure even seems like an understatement. The work is just beautiful and the signatures are sweet. But the meaning in this one quilt makes it such a valuable heirloom. Where do you keep them? Do you display them?

An Urban Cottage said...

The quality of the work is amazing. The bird, the violets and the cosmos and incredible. And who has a quilt signed "Rose Bramble"?

Laura said...

dibs

elegancemaison said...

This is such a beautiful quilt and a wonderful family hierloom. A little bit sad that it was never actually used, I think. My favourite block is the same as yours. My father was taught to fly by a former crop duster in the RCAF in Saskatchewan early in WWII. They taught many RAF pilots as instructors were in short supply in the UK. Maybe your daughters should toss for it?

Anonymous said...

That's a very, very special quilt, a treasure for certain!
-FringeGirl

Deb said...

Such a beautiful quilt and so very special!

Unknown said...

Very lovely.

If you were to adopt a daughter, me for instance, I could treasure your treasure.

My mom and grandmother quilted, I miss them so much.