Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Three Strikes and I'm Out

This is just a gratuitous shot of my chair cushion that I made on the same style chair. Cute I think.
Okay, here's the problem. I have three mantels in my house. I know you're thinking wow three fireplaces with mantels to decorate, how cool is that! Well, I'm totally out of ideas on how to decorate them. I am so tired of clutter, you wouldn't believe the boxes of just stuff I've been packing up! The one above is in the living room.
This one is the dining room. I got those word things at the dollar store and I just stuck those up there to mess with my girls. "Oh Mum, that's so dumb!" So the words can go and everything else except those picture frames. They are actually on hinges and cover up two neat little hidden alcoves. The pictures are the only ones I could find to fit the openings but I'm looking for something to put in the frames.
The last one is in the kitchen. I took everything off the mantel yesterday except the clock and I immediately felt better. Unfortunately there is a plug up there behind the matchbox so I need something in that space but I'm open to options. I stacked some books up there along with my little dog because the wall ends before the bricks do and it looks weird just empty. So girls, please make my day and help me out. Please, I'm begging you! Also, as time and money allow, I'm covering up the ugly red 1950's brick in the living room and dining room so I'd also like some ideas on what colour tile to get. Cheers!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be the first one to admit mantels are extremely hard. I love topiaries on mantels because that gives them the height they need or candlesticks. It might look really pretty in the last mantel if you painted the wall above it a color and just put a pretty painting or water color on the wall and nothing on the mantel, just an idea. Oh and I adore the words on the second one.

LeAnn:)

Deb said...

Thanks LeAnn

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Well, trust me, I'm no expert, but how about some apothecary jars of varying heights filled with little kitcheny tidbits - cookie cutters, etc. Did you mention an outlet? How about one of those small little lamps for some cozy light? What do you collect? Can you display them artfully? Have you looked for inspiration in some of the home decor magazine websites from Canada or US?

Now, come help me with my woodstove! I love to decorate it in the spring, summer, and fall, but I can't find a good look. I should take my own advice for woodstove inspiration.

Your other mantels look lovely. I also like the words on your dining room mantel.

Anonymous said...

If you're looking for pictures for the gold frames, try www.vintageprintables.com for free vintage art! That might look cool.

And I'm with the other ladies - candlesticks, topiaries, apothecary jars all work well on the mantles. Do you read the lettered cottage? Layla always has beautiful displays on her mantle - www.theletteredcottage.net.

If all else fails, I've found that hardcovered books can usually fill in the blanks! :) Good luck, and keep us updated!

Deb said...

Thanks guys! I do read the lettered cottage. I'll take another look.

Unknown said...

I have NO mantels. I think I had one for 2 years in a rental years ago but that was it. I was so busy with kids then I do not even think I put anything on it at all.

So I am no help.

But ... I wanted to tell you that I am SO rooting for your little Canadian figure skater to win gold tomorrow night. She is the bravest person I have seen in a long, long time and I am so praying for her.

And I love red mittens. LOVE them!! If I thought there was single pair out there to buy these days I'd order some. But I hear they have been the hot item and no one can get any.

We're expecting snow again tonight. So much for spring :)

Shann said...

I am not really good at decorating...so I can't offer any advice...but I will say I love the ceilings in your dining room! They are wonderful! And, I think your doll house is divine. I also love that you say Mum. :) Just love it!

Anonymous said...

There are a bunch of great decorating blogs to get some ideas and inspiration from...I'll email you the links later.

-FringeGirl

Deb said...

Thanks Honey, we tore out the old plaster ceiling a couple of years ago, what an awful job! We wore masks and still each got chest infections.

Thanks FringeGirl!

Jo Raines said...

Beautiful mantles! I should show mine--it's a family antique! There is a blog award for you on my blog but (sorry) you have to post seven secrets about yourself! True confession time!

Jody

Jeanne Oliver said...

We have three mantels too and I have enjoyed decorating them..but I know what you mean. I have been getting rid of a lot of extra things lately too! You are lucky to have three fireplaces. Yours are real and mine is gas. Your brick would look amazing painted white and distressed just a little. I love large mirrors over fireplaces. Good luck.