Friday, March 11, 2011

Monkey Tails Part ll.

Due to popular demand, I have decided to share my secret Monkey Tail recipe with the world you, my Gentle Readers.
I apologize to my international readers, but the recipe is not metric.  Some of the ingredients are not measured, just eyeballed.  Alas.
 Mix dry ingredients together in large bowl:

2 cups flour                                           
4 tsp baking powder                                
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 400F

Cut in 1/2 cup shortening with pastry blender.  Add 2/3 cup milk all at once and stir until dough is easy to handle.  Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and press down gently with heel of hand 8 or 10 times.  With a rolling pin roll dough out to a rough rectangle shape.

Spread lashings of butter over the dough.  Then sprinkle lots of brown sugar.  On top of that, sprinkle a good amount of cinnamon.  Starting with a long side, roll up dough tightly.  Slice the roll up into approx 1-2 inch slices and place cut side down onto ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for approx 12 minutes.  When done, immediately put rolls on a cooling rack.

For drizzle:  Let rolls cool slightly.  Mix up some powdered sugar, milk and a dash of vanilla to a thickish consistency.  Spoon over rolls.  Done!

Note:  I used soy products instead of dairy and the tails were just as delicious.

10 comments:

the gardener's cottage said...

who'd a thought i'd ever want to eat a monkeys tail?

sounds good deb.

xo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you mentioned the soy products...I will definately be trying my first monkey tail! I may change the name to make them go down a little easier. :)

Anonymous said...

My kids will LOVE these!!! I'm definitely going to try them. Thank you.
Happy Weekend!
-FringeGirl

Mrs. M said...

Well, I don't eat meat ... but the tail of a monkey might just be the thing to win me over :) hehe

FabShabbyRoses said...

Ahhh you're a sweetheart! I can't wait to try these on sunday morning! Thank you thank you! Carolyn

Raine and Sage said...

Yum!! Brown sugar and cinnamon is talking my language.

From Beyond My Kitchen Window said...

I think these look so yummy. I might make these for Easter. So about your broken bowl!

Anonymous said...

I think I may try these this weekend. They look so good!!! Thanks for sharing.

Makeminemidcentury said...

What's shortening?

You had me until then.

If you can tell me, I'll make them!

Anonymous said...

I made them. Enjoying them right now. Yum! So easy to make too.